Laughing at my self……..noticed my new habit of writing things in parts; well…..what can I say? its just that when I start to think of an issue, ideas swell up in my mind of how/what to write, I think of this, …and then think of that, before I know it my mind is overwhelmed with all sorts, and to be able to put them all down, I try to sort and write out bit by bit……..
Am I doing the right job? Is this what I would want to/should do for the rest of my life?
These are lyrics that have been over sung over the years I’ve also found myself, friends and others ponder, wonder and ask…..am I on the right career part? Am I in the right industry? Am I marrying the right person? Am I doing the right business? etc
While there are a lot of reasons for these uncertainties, I have tried to sum up the major concerns; which are;
· financial security ( for ‘ever’ and ‘ever’ and ‘ever’)
· for some its fulfillment ( especially with all the motivational talks and preaching on ‘life of purpose’ ‘destiny’ etc)
· and some are concerned about job security /the continuous relevance of their field or industry, business or ministry
· Social acceptance/relevance ( which in my opinion stems from the above issues)
My first comment is one that is very obvious and probably over flogged;
1) If we really have the desire for change, if we’re convinced we should leave our comfort zone (if there is need) to pursue what we think we should/would like to have (ironically a lot of intelligent people I’ve met know this fact but have rarely taken any step towards anything in recent years)………….and that brings me to point number 2
2) Have we been able to ‘know’ what we want? What to pursue……….,?
We all don’t have leave our present jobs for another job, we all also do not have to resign from paid jobs to be entrepreneurs or go into full time ministry, we all do not have to start that business or marriage proposal now nor have those children now, but I think WE ALL HAVE TO BE ABLE TO ANSWER OURSELVES! (And I think our creator too) THAT WE’RE WHERE WE SHOULD BE AND DOING WHAT WE SHOULD BE DOING ‘NOW’!
(I’m laughing, looks like I have written too much ‘grammar’, I should stop here)
I read this long ago (don’t remember who the author is), I edited it a bit, mine in italics
“Do you feel like there's a huge gap between your present job and your ultimate career destination? You say, "Yes, I'd like to be a teacher, but that means I'd have to go back to school and finish my degree. That would take years!" "Sure, I'd love to switch careers, but this job has security; I don't think I could take the risk." "It would be fun to try and market my own product, but I don't know how to get started." The excuses pile up like dirty dishes in a sink; it feels like it would take too long, cost too much, require too many sacrifices to get from point A to point B. Whether it's going back to school, starting your own business or entering the ministry, the temptation is to always put it off until another time. Maybe when my wife gets a job, maybe when the kids are grown, maybe when I get this promotion, maybe, maybe etc
How do you overcome the fear of starting? You reach big goals by taking small steps! While it's tempting to think that the amount of time required is too long, those days and years will pass - whether you're pursuing your goal or not! God wants you to heed His call, to show up for duty and leave the provisions - including the time, money, open doors, favorable relationships and material resources - to Him. If you do your part, He'll do His. The Psalmist writes: "No good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly" (Ps 84:11). Just trust God and take the first small step!”
What do you think? I would continue my own thoughts in part 2.........................................