Wednesday, November 12, 2008

DO IT! ...dont just think it

Some months ago, some persons did me a real favour, they actually went out of their way to help me, and I know they must have sacrificed a lot.
I on my side had also spent a lot of time all these months thinking of how to show my gratitude, what to do for them, I’ve spent days day-dreaming of giving them something wonderful that would bring smiles to their faces, I have at different time thought of 'I will do this' and 'I would do that'...................but I never did! ……….I guess I didn’t feel it was time to, or I was waiting for a more appropriate time, atmosphere or occasion.

But 3 nights ago, one of them strongly expressed his displeasure and that he was disappointed that I never said thank you!
I was shocked, I was embarrassed! I felt like the ground opening up and swallowing me up!
I left the place ashamed, confused, sorry, and at the point of tears

Right now, I remember that incident with a heavy heart, I might be a lot of things, but I am not an ingrate!

In as much as I feel sorry for myself, (I still feel like and think I might cry again too)
I am trying to put the incident in perspective, I decided that day to post my thoughts,
I learnt from that incidence………they're lessons we all know: but I am reminding myself that;

- No matter how good or honorable one’s intentions are, its of no use if we do not carry them out.
- PEOPLE CANNOT READ MINDS! We need to be expressive, we should let people know exactly how we feel and what we think (and we should do that at the right time!)
- Its immaterial how grand or fantastic one’s plan is, they are still useless if not executed.
- Time, is of great essence, like the holy bible says ‘there is a time for everything’ we should not miss our times and chances for doing things………else we might loose that opportunity. I like to be like the men of Issachar of the Holy Scriptures ….”they understood the times” and "knew what Isreal should do"

As more thoughts come to my mind on the incident, I will post them. I saw the following thoughts and would like to share with you.

Now is the accepted time, not tomorrow, not some more convenient season.It is today that our best work can be done and not some future day or future year.It is today that we fit ourselves for the greater usefulness of tomorrow.Today is the seed time, now are the hours of work, and tomorrow comes the harvest and the playtime. W.E.B. Du Bois:

Don't strew me with roses after I'm dead.When Death claims the light of my brow,No flowers of life will cheer me: insteadYou may give me my roses now! Thomas F. Healey:

I don't wait for moods. You accomplish nothing if you do that. Your mind must know it has got to get down to work Pearl S. Buck:

The great French Marshall Lyautey once asked his gardener to plant a tree. The gardener objected that the tree was slow growing and would not reach maturity for 100 years. The Marshall replied, 'In that case, there is no time to lose; plant it this afternoon!' John F. Kennedy (1917 - 1963)

2 comments:

Enkay said...

Wow - really touching. I used to have a Nike T-shirt with the inscription - "Just Do it!". Very apt indeed. We could think it as long as we want but until we do it, it's not worth much. Thanks a lot for the reminder.

Anonymous said...

True....very true. People ain't mind readers, they measure and make conclusions based on our actions or inactions and not intentions.

Nice blog, keep up the good work.